+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vertical stripes of algae

vertical stripes of algae

my new scrubber has been running for about 6-8 weeks now. I am getting lots of growth. I have noticed that the algae is forming vertical stripes of different shades of algae ranging from light green to dark reddish brown. each stripe is about 1.5" wide and runs almost the lenght of the screen. the stripes that are a nice bright green are found in areas of little flow. what does this tell you about my scrubber/tank water? my screen measures 12"x16" and has a mag 7.5 pumping 750gph.

Administrator

Re: vertical stripes of algae

The green actually had the most flow, which made it growthe most, which then slowed the water down. It's the brown areas that never got any flow.

but when i clean the screen every week and restart the pump the flow is equal all the way across the screen every time.? maybe it is a slight difference in flow that i cant detect with my eye? the scrubber is filtering well so this is not a big deal for me ,I would just like to see it look like the pictures of the sm100's algae growth. maybe i need to add more light/flow?

Administrator

You just can't see the difference. It could also be the waviness of the screen, or the slot.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information