+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone know what these are?

Anyone know what these are?

The picture of the back of the tank has small white calcium like structures that are wound like a snal. They are about the size of the head of a pin. I have seen several of these on the tank glass since doing the scrubber but the back wall and sump apeared over night. I clean the glass with an old credit card and they break off like they are calcium deposits.

The tubes coming out of the live rock are 1/8" to 1/4" long, they are hollow and hard. I broke one off with tweezers and it snaps like calcium. When out of the tank they appear to be clear.
    Any ideas would be helpful. Primarally are they good or bad?
    Thanks
    David S.

Re: Anyone know what these are?

Talked to my LFS and he said the tubes are a Feather dusters and the curly white's are how they start being produced by the algae scrubber. Guess when I build rome I need to get a fish that will eat them :-)
    David S.

feather dusters are soem of the best filter feeders that can be housed in a system Not sure what the ones on the glass are but i have them aswell i had a hard look and some of them looked to be hydroid type but still searching...

Administrator

The spots are baby snails. Watch them and they will move slowly. A large wrasse will eat them.

They might be baby snails, but they look like the tiny tube worms I was getting on my glass in one of my previous tanks. If I looked at them with a good magnifying glass, I could sometimes spot the worm inside, because they attached their tubes to the glass, but didn't close off the side against the glass, if that makes sense.

tube worms are great,snails are great,,but make sure none of them are hydroids! hydroids are like tiny strings of nems/corals that sting the crap out of anything they touch.

I have noticed these again and after cleaning with a scrubing brush they dont seam to come off easily so i doubt they are snails. i notice that if i leave them that algae will grow from them in the main display. They would be calcium deposits or something in the water depositing on the tanks glass due to the flow going past. I can use a razor blade to remove them.

The tubes growing form the rocks are surely tube worms of some description though.

I have them too. Only in the sump. From what I'm able to tell they are a type of feather duster. Bright red. Wish I could get them in my display but the don't seem to grow in it.
    I haven't seen any ill effects of them. So they will stay.

The white things are spirorbid worms, nothing to do with your algae scrubber... they are just pointing blame :evil:
    See my RC post asking the same thing...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1936730

I am looking for the post on the other thing...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information