+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this possible??

Is this possible??

I know this can't be possible but.... I just installed my turf filter in my sump 5 days ago. I have a 220 gallon tank which feeds to a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank sump in the basement. I had actually run the same screen I used for this filter in my sump for 2 weeks when the sump was a little 40 gal sump in stand beneath the tank in my stand. About 4 to 5 weeks ago I decided to move to the stock tank sump in the basement. Well I removed the turf screen from the sumo in stand and threw it in a closet just the way it was with green algae covering it. I didn't know if I intended on using it again or not. I could NEVER get my nitrates down ni matter what I tried so my plan was to buy a HUGE ASM G6 skimmer rated for 1200 gallons and put it in the huge sump in basement. It took me a week to complete the project and get it all up and running. So the tank was running on the new sump and skimmer the past 4 weeks. During that time I had a terrible outbreak of red cyano and then an outragous outbreak of hair algae. I'd clean the algae in the morning from the tank and by the evening it was all back again. The tank actually looked WORSE then it ever had.

So 5 days ago I pulled my screen from the closet. It had dried green. There was no getting this algae off it, it looked like it was dyed green. I took one of the overflow pipes and adapted it to hold a pvc pipe with slots in it and hung the screen above the water in sump with only the nbottom in water and I lighted it with a metal halide 5000k light from home depot I had laying around. In 3 days I had to clean the screen already.

Well, it isn't my imagination but the tank is CLEARER then it has ever been. It looks polished and there is just a hint of algae here and there. Almost gone! My brain keeps telling me that there is NO way this turf filter could be responsible for this so soon. BUT for some reason the tank looks beautiful. SO is this possible or just coincidence???[attachment=0:tw7zo06f]turf.JPG[/attachment:tw7zo06f]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Is this possible??

I would bet on the turf filter. But, then again I am a believer. . . . .
    75RR / 20g sump / DIY Scrubber / 3 x 150DE MH & single T5 actinic

This is a good case study!!

Administrator

I don't think the scrubber did it... the dead algae on the screen would have put more nutrients into the water. And you would not have filtering anyway until you have cleaned off several thick screens of new growth. But good to hear it's better.

SM, thanks for the honest reply. I didn't think the scrubber did it but it leaves me shaking my head as to what did do it? I never saw any algae in my sump but since installing the scrubber the sides of the sump now have hair algae growing on them.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information