+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Limits and Best use of ATS

Limits and Best use of ATS

I have a link elsewhere that I am applying an ATS described here.I was wondering what is best use for these filters.

What I am finding is that my current system pulls nutrient levels beneath detectable limits. I have a LR Lamotte test kit that if looked down through tube long way would give a hint of nitrates when color comparison reads zero. Other tank perform just fine with 2-5 ppm nitrates.

My thoughts are to scale back size of screen and/or increase feedings to even twice a day. The only problem I am having is Acans closed up. I suspect it is a reaction to low nutrient levels. Direct feedings have some response but they do not swell up like before, as healthy acans should look.

I have also noticed SPS are very content. I use birdnest as an indicator in back row. Fine needle points indicate low nitrates. GARF Bonzai's are improving.

On a more controversial note, I suspect many things are odd about TOTM on RC in prior years best displays may have been staged, so I would prefer to base system on natural reefs where corals of same type may grow together.

Thanks for any input.

Administrator

Re: Limits and Best use of ATS

No need to scale back... the low nutrients are no lower than other low nutrient tanks... and their acans do great, as well as other lps. Besides, scaling back would reduce food supply too (Algae -> DOC -> Bacteria -> Plankton). So you are better off feeding more. And feed liquid coral food. At some point, nutrients will rise a bit, but you'll have tons more food.
    Best is continuous liquid feeding using a dosing pump.

As for staged TOTM, even if they weren't, they were still "new" tanks... less than a few years old. They will all (my opinion) be getting old tank syndrome due to buildup of copper in the dsb's (if they don't have algae to eat the copper), so in effect those tanks are "staged" in that the pics were taken before the old tank demise. They may, of course, run poly filters in addition to the other life support devices, and if so this would remove the copper.

Re: Limits and Best use of ATS

My goal is to grow out large healthy corals that are not overly crowded. This take 3-5 years. You get wow effect when people, neighbors etc see large corals that may know little about them but are obviously healthy and growing, and bright colors helps too. I do like the idea of heavy metal export and does make sense to me. Old Tank syndrome is always dealt with in a vague manner by recent aquarium books as to direct cause. This may be one cause. Another observation is a coating of slime always developed in backside of overflows. This has gone away. Last of valonia has disappeared by removal with tweezers.

Liquid foods could be Oyster Feast, Liquid Phytoplankton, crumpled Nori. I have increased thawed and rinse frozen food mix. It has a bit of every type of cubed food available. I could increase to twice a day as well. My concern is it is a fluctuating filter as I clean it off heavily, but is grows back extremely fast after two days.

I do skim lightly for SPS tank. I have found output very steady since ATS matured. I get a very slow rise of skimmate. When I did put skimmer back on a got a black slime initially. I am considering a smaller skimmer if this continues. This is a comprimise for a sps dominated tank.

Also I do use Bulk Reef Supply salts. I dose 100 mls a day of each with automated system. I do use correct MgCl2/MgSO4 (which is primary component of balling salt free ocean mix), but chloride rise still will need partial water changes. I get 7-10 gallons of evaporation a week but this is not enough for lime to keep up.

I have has trouble acclimating corals form tank that do not do water changes at all.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information