+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pods in tank or debris from filter sock & floss??

Banned

Re: Pods in tank or debris from filter sock & floss??

Quote Originally Posted by TankTinkerer
    You mention leaving some algae on the screen to seed the next week's batch, but no one says how much. SantaMonica recommends 90-95%. Someone on Rc said keep one side and clean the other.
    My screens are not typical of what people use. I use the reverse side of wall tiles which have a rippled imprint on them. I scrape the entire surface of the tile each time, usually with an old credit card but occasionally with a box knife blade, when it starts to get quite tough. Obviously some of the algae is left in the ripples on he tile surface and I find that's easily enough.

The algae is thin, thin brown, looking more like the crud that comes from the skimmer. Why is it that Rumpy Pumpy can run his tank without a skimmer and EVERYONE else with a refugium has to have one, even though they have plenty of chaeto or caulerpa??
    Couldn't possibly comment, I can only tell you what I have observed from mine.

It's not just me who runs with a scrubber alone.

In any case, it's been 19 days and now my Phosphates have gone from 0.2 to 0.1 to 0.5.

I don't want to kill my coral...what do I do to lower the phosphate until the ATS really starts working??

So your phosphates have risen, since you started the scrubber, even though you are still using the skimmer and your other methods of filtration?

Re: Pods in tank or debris from filter sock & floss??

The light brown is the first type that i found grows. When i clean up around the slot so its perfectly clean to keep good flow then i clean off leaving only little strips of algae left the algae will spread and grow in fairly quickly if you are feeding enough. You can reduce feedings a little if you are worried about PO4 but .5 will not hurt them much especially if it is on its way down. clean 90% each time and it will grow green if you have enough flow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information