+ Reply to Thread

Thread: potassium depletion with ATS?

potassium depletion with ATS?

I know vascular fresh water plants will consume and deplete potassium.

I have read reports on Elos and ZeoVit having moderate accuracy as a test kit to target 400 ppm potassium levels.

Does an ATS have potential to deplete potassium and is this consequential to a reef tank?

Administrator

Re: potassium depletion with ATS?

Not that I know of. Seem to be plenty of potassium. Alk (baking soda) and iron are the only things that need adding, when you have a powerful scrubber. If you have a regular DIY scrubber, you probably don't need to add anything.

Oyster Feast (tm) contains potassium carbonate and potassium bicarbonate to buffer citric acid and ascorbic acid along with any decay.

May be worth having a tank reading even if potassium is not added, however I am unclear if test kit is worth the money.

Administrator

I think your time/money is better spent on looking at other things first, namely alk and iron, if anything.

That is a good suggestion for basic husbandry. I already have LaMotte and Kent Iron/Manganese.

The reason for concern is if potassium accumulates it will be toxic without water changes. Zeovit mishaps have shown this. It is likely inputs are minimal but with zero water changes some concern is needed.

Administrator

If buildup is your concern, worry not: Corals will consume it. In a no-waterchange, algae-run system, nothing builds up. The levels quickly get to a max amount and stay there.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information