+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New scrubber questions, and introduction!

Administrator

Re: New scrubber questions, and introduction!

One thing I discovered with flow and spray which I've meant to post to more people with problem. Using a larger pipe for the screen really reduces spray by flooding it instead of pressurizing it.
    Yes but taking the pressure out also reduces the "self correcting" nature, where it fills in areas with flow that are not getting as much growth.

Also, larger pipes have been known to make more noise.

I just realized that the bulbs are 23 watts each. So I will still need 2 on each side?

I was thinking about raising the whole setup slightly higher, this will give me enough room with the reflectors to put the bulbs exactly parallel with the screen, avoiding my current problem of being pointed downwards, thus causing unwanted growth on the bottom of the tub.

I was also thinking of turning this screen, so that the width now becomes the length, and adding another screen next to it. as it sits now, the screen is wider than it is tall. This will enable one reflector to fit the full length of 1 screen. so I will be running 2 screens in series, lit by (2) 23 watt bulbs each on both side.

My only question about the bulb is that the bulbs I have now are 23 watts actual, and 75 watts equivalent. You said it needs to be 120 watts equivalent. Should I be looking at the actual watts in this case, or just go for a higher equivalence when I buy the new bulbs?

I'm also going to widen the slit just a little bit to avoid the spraying everywhere, i feel this will help a lot, as it isnt exactly even all the way down the way I cut it so i'm pretty sure this will be an improvement.

Hopefully all the little upgrades will make it more efficient for the tank. I feed about a cube per day, plus a small bit of flake food once or twice daily as well. I'm going to start adding more phyto soon. I was adding 2 capfulls of DT's once per week for my chili coral. I am receiving a non-photosynthetic gorgonian sometime this week, and I will need to start feeding smaller, more frequent amounts (of the dt's and other appropriate micron-sized foods...) to keep up with the requirements of the gorg.

Do you think that with the upgrades that the scrubber will be able to handle it and get my PO4 down soon?

Administrator

So I will still need 2 on each side?
    You want as much consistent coverage from end to end as you can get without burning the middle. That's the limitation of CFL bulbs compared to T5's... they burn the middle.

I was thinking about raising the whole setup slightly higher, this will give me enough room with the reflectors to put the bulbs exactly parallel with the screen, avoiding my current problem of being pointed downwards, thus causing unwanted growth on the bottom of the tub.
    Good.

I was also thinking of turning this screen, so that the width now becomes the length, and adding another screen next to it.
    I would maximize growth on this screen first. This screen should do most of what you need. If your flow is strong now, I would not turn the screen... wider is better because it flows more water and thus gets nutrients from the tank to the scrubber faster.

My only question about the bulb is that the bulbs I have now are 23 watts actual, and 75 watts equivalent. You said it needs to be 120 watts equivalent. Should I be looking at the actual watts in this case, or just go for a higher equivalence when I buy the new bulbs?

You want real, not equivalent.

You can put up to a 42 watt (real, not equivalent) bulb on each side of that screen, and put the bulb about 5 inches from the screen. 42 watts is strong, and any closer will burn the middle.

I feed about a cube per day, plus a small bit of flake food once or twice daily as well.
    Not much at all, even for your current bulbs.

I'm going to start adding more phyto soon. I was adding 2 capfulls of DT's once per week for my chili coral.
    Liquid food, including phyto, is best added in a slow continuous fashion, using a peristaltic pump.

I am receiving a non-photosynthetic gorgonian sometime this week, and I will need to start feeding smaller, more frequent amounts (of the dt's and other appropriate micron-sized foods...) to keep up with the requirements of the gorg.
    Unfortunately, if it is a true non-photo, you would need to feed gigantic amounts of continuous liquid food to keep it alive, and more than just phyto too. Probably about 8 ounces a day (236 ml), which would wipe out your current setup. Hopefully it is really a photo gorg which has a much better chance but still would probably need more food. True non-photo gorgs, especially the impossible blueberry gorg, should be the only attempted with very powerful and oversized scrubber, continuous liquid feeding, and strong laminar current through out the tank.

Do you think that with the upgrades that the scrubber will be able to handle it and get my PO4 down soon?
    Yes the improvements will do it, at the current feeding level, and probably a good bit more. Not near enough for non-photo gorg feeding, however. The guideline is:

Each cube of frozen food you feed per day needs 12 square inches of screen, with a light on both sides totaling 12 watts. Thus a nano that is fed one cube a day would need a screen 3 X 4 inches with a 6 watt bulb on each side. A larger tank that is fed 10 cubes a day would need a screen 10 X 12 inches with 60 watts of light on each side. If you feed flake, feeder fish, or anything else, you will need to blend it up super thick, strain out the excess water, pour it into a cube, and see how many cubes it is.

question.

what size PVC pipe should I be using? Im about to go out and buy another PVC pipe to make a taller/longer scrubber.

I think I have 1/4" now, maybe 1/2 not exactly sure as I'm not near it at the moment.

Also, I bought 4 new 3500K 100 watt equivalent spiral bulbs (23 actual watts each...) how far away from the screen should they be placed so that it does not burn the center.

Thanks!

Administrator

3/4 inch

4 inches.

Thanks

Pictures of upgraded scrubber.

pvc upgraded from 1/2" to 3/4"
    slit in pvc widened
    screen turned in order to fit 1 refector per screen
    new screen added
    2 more bulbs and reflectors added

I will create a light deflector at the very top soon to make sure no algae will restrict flow to the screens

screen on the right added 4 days ago. last picture is new screen with 3 days worth of growth. It had been lightly seeded by the screen on the left when I cleaned it.

BTW, P04 tested friday via. hanna meter - 0.21 YAY!!! and dropping....hopefully

Nitrates steady at 4

What do you think of the new setup?

Administrator

Perfect!

I have a friend with a 225 gallon tank, mixed reef. he wants the same results, what size screen would be good for him? he has about 300 gallons of water total in the system. Also what size pump do you suggest for him?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate all the help. You have no idea how much your site has helped me in my reef-keeping journey.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information