+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Screw In LED Bulbs

Screw In LED Bulbs

Has anyone had any experience with these?
    Here is a link of one I was looking at: http://cgi.ebay.com/Hydroponic-High-Pow ... m153.l1262
    Unfortunately dont have room for the panel LED's so thought this might work. Currently using a CFL flood but thinking of changing everything for simplicity and efficiency.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Screw In LED Bulbs

TBH I personally would stick with the CFL, but they are an interesting product, it says 500 lumens, which is pretty bright (average projector bulb is 1000-2000 lumens)

Is there any particular reason why you suggest this? Just thought this may 1. grow better 2. work out to be cheaper in the not so long run. Not sure about LEDs, but doesn't the effectiveness of CFL wane after several months of use?

According to Santa Monica, Cfl looses it max effectiveness after three months. I would think LED's would hold thier spectrum as long as they burned. If the bulb started loosing LED's then the spectrum will start to degrade. 6 of one and a half a dozen of another i guess. But maybe the LED bulb manufacture would stand behind the bulb if any one of the LED's went out.

Also, I am not sure lumins means anything. If that were the case then my 9 watt CFL would be a better choice as I get more lumins than the LED. My 9 watt gives 580 lumins.

Not sure about lumens either, but if they do matter I'd definitely stick with my flood. It is a 26W (equiv to 90W) with 1300 lumens. The big draw back is that the temp is 2700k. Has been doing a decent job growing, but was thinking of trying something new.

Administrator

2700K is fine.

Correct, lumens don't matter, it's PAR. But, rarely do you see PAR listed, even on plant-grow lights.

Check out this power monster I just found:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34&start=40#p614

Thats a beauty, a little pricey, but nice. As far as PAR goes, my CFL and this LED are both 38. Would sway any of your opinions either way?

If you're willing, by all means give the LED spot a shot! CFLs are rated about 2k hours. LEDs are about 50k hours. It could well be a nice choice.

Well, if the numbers posted by kcress are in fact correct then it would be more advantages to stay with the CFL bulbs. Cost verses hours you will come out ahead with them.

I, personally, have found most LED options to be less efficient than CFL in terms of light output versus power input, but they are getting better, I think we've already had this discussion on another thread, it's a bit hit and miss with LEDs at the moment, but some newer ones are more efficient.
    And at the moment, CFL technology is considerably cheaper as most houses nowdays have at least a few in them somewhere, where as a lot less have high powered LED bulbs as substitutes for spot lights.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information