+ Reply to Thread

Thread: non photo corals and scrubbed tanks

non photo corals and scrubbed tanks

does running a tank with the scrubber as the only filtration allow you to keep any non photo corals without having to target feed such corals several times a day?(sun corals/sea fans)

Re: non photo corals and scrubbed tanks

The short answer would be: no.

But this does raise a lot of interesting questions. Think I'll do some research.

Administrator

A better answer is: Depends

And it depends on how much you feed your tank. You will have much more food in the water, but you still will need strong circulation, and heavy continuous liquid feedings. Your scrubber should be two to ten times as powerful as normal recommendations.

An update on my success and faliure with non photo synth corals. The sun polyps never did take off, I only target fed once a week but they just never opened up during lights on and since I am an ealry to bed kind of guy it just never worked. There are 2 little heads left that come out a little and seem to be hanging on.

The corky finger gorg, purple ribbon gorg and a white (cant remeber teh name) gorg have really taken off. The purple has come back from teh dead basically. These three corals are somewhat PS though so I cant say whether its just food in teh tank or just better parameters.

I also tried some nps gorgs and they have not survived. Also no success with carnation corals and close relatives. I never used to target feed these types and tank dosing was sporadic. So recently i have started feeding phyto feast and rotifers (non target style) and so I may try some nps gorgs again.

I have noticed that cocoworms and all tube worm types just go nuts. I also think my mini carpets and rose are doing better on the algae filter. Just my 2cents.
    Mike
    75RR / 20g sump / DIY Scrubber / 3 x 150DE MH & single T5 actinic

thanks for that mike.

Can someone post a list with ALL CORALS etc NOT RECOMENDED WITH AN ATS.

Thanks.

Administrator

I would normally say Xenia, but I just experimented with adding Potassium Phosphate to get the P to 1.0, and it looks like it might help. Other than that, some people lose their Xenia, and some don't.

So the ONLY "limitation" is Xenias?....and possibly they can be successfully kept when PO4 is kept around 1???

Administrator

Limitation, yes.

Adding PO4, unknown. I only just tried it, but I don't have any Xenia. Was trying it for a different reason.

Some people, however, who really wanted to keep Xenia, just fed a lot more. This benefits everything, and raises the N and P so that the Xenia will live.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information