+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Help on my design/idea

Help on my design/idea

Hi all, I have been reading information on this site for the past week. When I first found the site, I was actually just browsing the web looking for remedies for bryopsis/hair algae. I found this thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68 and I read the entire thing lol. I was actually up till around 4 am reading about it.

Any way, a little about myself/setup. I live in Philadelphia and operate a forum with a few locals which has grown to about 1500 people (hopefully someone can hop over there and give some info ). I have been in the hobby for around 3 years now. Started with a 55g reef, then upgraded to a 75g reef. I tried a frag tank when I had the 55g tank set up, and failed due to extremely high HA. I then had to break that down. Taking care of two individual systems is rough when you work full time and come home beat -_-. Any way, I digress.

My latest frag tank is a 40g (30x24x12) with a 20g long and a 29g sump. It has been plagued with HA/bryopsis for a while. Since it was bare bottom I would get a crazy amount of algae growing on the bottom and sides. It got to a point where I almost broke down the tank.

Any way I scraped it all, tried running Seachem Phosguard. Algae seemed to turn grey. I started feeding again for the frags in there, and the algae is already on its way back and bright green. This seems to be my last option, since a few of my frags are infested, I have them separated before they infect the rest of the other frags, but with the frags sitting on the bottom, I see them getting creeped up again.

So here is my area to work with, I have a couple options so I am debating on how I will set it up.
    (please try to ignore the ginormous firehazard.... I kind of have it rigged that way because of a new LED fixture I have with cables that are too short.) The ATO is on the bottom right (lip of the bucket)

One option would be to take the overflow pipe, and convert it to the ATS. It would work, I could get a good 13" out of it width wise, and around 7" height, but it would most likely be one sided. (here is the one pic of how it could work) My only thing is that I have a Mag5 (500gph, split between two tanks. My guess is I am getting maybe 150gph out of the return, which wouldn't be enough I think.

Another option, is to do the bucket method, but I am kind of stuck since I can't put it anywhere above the tank. An option would be to use a Mag5 pump (500gph) to build an in sump ATS, probably one sided. Finally I could man up and build a box lol... But my skills/money is a problem lol.

So guys, any input would be great.

Administrator

Re: Help on my design/idea

I say use the pipe like you are thinking of, with a separate pump, and two 23 watt CFL 2700K on each side.

If you placed another 90 (elbow) where your hand is at perpendicular to it. That sump looks to be about 10-12 inches wide. Then the length down to water level looks to be at least 15-20 inches giving you 150+ sq. inches and room for lights on both sides.

I think I am going to go with the separate pump. I probably would get the same sq. Inches either way. I will tentacles today.

I have all the parts minus the screen and new impeller for the pump. Hopefully I can get it up and running in a few days.

Thanks.

And watch as the HA dissappears.

I really hope so... Btw I may do it like you are saying since I may get the most bang for my buck. It is a standard 29g, so it has 12 3/4" in that area there. I could probably use about 10x10, and light both sides giving me 100" sq. That should be more than enough for this system.

Hey guys remind me if I am wrong, you don't want a scrubber too large correct, like going over kill on a tank isn't good when it comes to scrubber size. Just wanted to double check that.

I picked up the screen from an arts n crafts store. It is 12x18, I will cut it down to the right size soon. Now I all I need is a new impeller for the pump and I should be good to go. I already have all the plumbing parts I need, maybe too many, and I may be missing one piece to hook up the tube to a bigger size, since I am going from a 3/4" threaded female, to 1" male PVC, I need to figure out a way to hook it up and hang it.

I also need to get the clip on lights lol.

Rough enough?

Administrator

The roughness looks good. The more the holes are closed-in, the rougher it is.

However for a 10 X 10 screen, you need at least 50 total watts... 25 on each side. You can't have a scrubber "too big" for a tank, but you can have a screen too big for the lights. If the screen is too big, parts of the screen will have weak light, and this will not help with filtering. A 10 X 10 screen really needs a 33 watt CFL on each side. And best would be two 23 watts on each side.

You are probably fine with a 6 X 6, and a 23 watt on each side, about 4" away. This will cover most of the screen, and take less space, and filter just as much.

That sounds good, I just need to get the lights. I am thinking those clip on ones with the big reflector? Then get some CFL screw in bulbs and I should be good right?

Administrator

Yes, curly-Q spiral bulbs.... not spotlights.

These right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information