+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Discus tank

Discus tank

Santa can algae scrubber would work on Fw discus tank?
    I do daily water change around 90% in my discus tank, because of my time schedule i have to travel a alot, during that i am not able to do water changes though people at home feed them, this was my concern as during my visit the nitrates may go high, so i need to lower it during that period. Is it possible to grow algae during daily water changes routine and also when i am out?
    secondly my tank is 50 gallon tank would 50 watts of light on both side of screen be ok?
    Hope my language is proper.
    Regards
    Deepesh

Administrator

Re: Discus tank

Yes many people use a scrubber for discuss. No more waterchanges will be needed. A 23 watt CFL on each side of the screen will work well.

Yes
    My discus are doing well and growing without a water change for quite sometime.(Its been months for me)
    The way I look at if you want to work on taking care of the animals you keep all the power
    to you, me I don't want it to seem like work and an expense.
    I do what I can to inform people that discus are not high maintenance and should be avoided if your not an "expert".
    They are as you know beautiful fish that might need more care mainly because they live so long.
    Hope this helps.

Lets see some pictures of your discus. I love them fish and used to keep them myself. It could be valuable proof that discus can be grown out in a tank with a algae scrubber and no water changes.

Quote Originally Posted by inkidu
    Yes
    My discus are doing well and growing without a water change for quite sometime.(Its been months for me)
    The way I look at if you want to work on taking care of the animals you keep all the power
    to you, me I don't want it to seem like work and an expense.
    I do what I can to inform people that discus are not high maintenance and should be avoided if your not an "expert".
    They are as you know beautiful fish that might need more care mainly because they live so long.
    Hope this helps.
    Please post some pics. What are Ats specification you use? cleaning ATS schedule?

[attachment=0:hvf29fd4]017.jpg[/attachment:hvf29fd4][attachment=2:hvf29fd4]013.jpg[/attachment:hvf29fd4]

Here is a couple I have from some time ago I don't have a camera right now.
    I'll try to get some more current pictures posted once I get a camera.
    I am assuming by the # of posts that you don't have a scrubber yet.
    My suggestion would be to go to the FAQ section to get some ideas.
    My algae scrubber has always been horizontal that is what I started with many years ago but the results from the vertical scrubber are
    very impressive and would be the direction I would go if starting from scratch.
    One of the benefits of doing a discus tank with an algae scrubber is that it opens what can be a limited choice of tank mates.
    You can feed heavily without fear of all the fish getting there fill and still have great water parameters.
    This is why IMO algae scrubbers start to make sense for discus tanks. You want to feed as much as possible for growth but the fish don't do well in "dirty" water.
    As far as parameters I am the wrong person to ask. I have checked my PH couple times in months.
    Don't deny the power of the algae.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks all of you, soon the screbber is gonna roll in my tank.
    Deepesh

do i need to add phosphorus for algae growth?

Banned

Always loved discus.

If I ever have another freshwater tank, that's what'll be going in it.

I was put off for years by the thought of all those water changes but now I'm a scrubber convert...

Administrator

Algae will grow without any additions.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information