+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lighting and feeding

Lighting and feeding

I have a few questions, first, I have a 135 gallon saltwater fish only tank with a 29 glass sump. Currently I am running two 42 watt cfl's(one on each side). Since the water volume is approximately 145 gallons, only 10 gallons in the sump, would I achieve better, faster results using two 40 watt cfl's on each side instead of the single 42 watters? By the way my screen is 10x13. I have no clue what my g.p.h are, all I know is that I have my overflow going straight to the scrubber using 1 inch pvc.Should I maybe use 3 30watt bulbs on each side instead of the two 40 watt bulbs on each side? which bulb configuration would be best for maximum results? I understand that more bulbs are better for an even spread, assuming reflectors are included. Is this correct?
    My second question pertains to feeding the tank. If I feed my tank more will I see results faster, meaning will the algae on the screen, the green kind show up faster? More bulbs plus heavier feedings?
    Third, I feed new life spectrum. It is supposed to not fowl up the water because it dissolves really slow. Will feeding this type of food not help the process in contrast to feeding something such as frozen foods such as mysis, or brine shrimp?
    My final question, is it possible to add a few saltwater fish at one time to the tank because of the effectiveness of scrubbers,my tank is fully cycled and has been running for 5 months now, or should I keep to the rule of adding one fish at a time on a month by month basis. I would like to add 3 small tangs and a flame angel
    Thanks everyone, your expertise are appreciated

Banned

Re: Lighting and feeding

Quote Originally Posted by NYRANGER
    My second question pertains to feeding the tank. If I feed my tank more will I see results faster, meaning will the algae on the screen, the green kind show up faster? More bulbs plus heavier feedings?
    Expect so, but why feed more than you need to?

The primary purpose of a scrubber is to clean the tank water, not to produce lots of algae isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by NYRANGER
    My final question, is it possible to add a few saltwater fish at one time to the tank because of the effectiveness of scrubbers,my tank is fully cycled and has been running for 5 months now, or should I keep to the rule of adding one fish at a time on a month by month basis. I would like to add 3 small tangs and a flame angel

Can't claim to be an expert but I have added multiple fish with no ill effects, in a much smaller tank.

Administrator

Re: Lighting and feeding

would I achieve better, faster results using two 40 watt cfl's on each side instead of the single 42 watters?
    You have a narrow screen, and it does not have room for more than one reflector on a side. I'm assuming you have reflectors, which you should; a big reflector is 12 inches across.

More wattage is (usually) always better, but in a CFL design you are limited by the reflectors. That's why wide-but-short designs are more powerful; they let you pack in more wattage very near to the screen (1 inch), all the way from edge to edge, using T5HO bulbs.

A 42 watt bulb is as big as you can go in a 13 inch wide screen; any bigger and it will "burn" (turn yellow) the center. The only way to increase the power of such a screen is to make it tall enough that you can put two reflectors on each side, one above the other.

If I feed my tank more will I see results faster, meaning will the algae on the screen, the green kind show up faster?
    More feeding is for the fish/corals. If you feed more it is because you want your corals to grow faster. And the best food for corals is a liquid. And the best way to feed them is continuosly.

Then, you try to make your scrubber grow as much as possible, to remove as many of the nutrients as possible.

I feed new life spectrum. It is supposed to not fowl up the water because it dissolves really slow. Will feeding this type of food not help the process in contrast to feeding something such as frozen foods such as mysis, or brine shrimp?
    Have not heard about or dealt with this food, but it sounds like it has an anti-bacterial ingredient in it. If you are only feeding fish and not corals, then what you said might be true.

But, it sounds like a cure for a problem that does not exist. If you have a properly running scrubber, nutrients are not a problem anyway. You should be able to feed your fish as much mysis or brine as you want, as long as they eat it all. That's the whole purpose of a scrubber... to allow you to feed as much as you want, without having any nutrient (or nuisance algae) problems. And this extra-feeding really is important to corals, which you can never feed enough.

is it possible to add a few saltwater fish at one time to the tank because of the effectiveness of scrubbers,my tank is fully cycled and has been running for 5 months now, or should I keep to the rule of adding one fish at a time on a month by month basis. I would like to add 3 small tangs and a flame angel
    If your scrubber has lots of algae on it, they you can add fish faster, yes; The algae will eat the ammonia/ammonium from the fish that normally would need to be handled solely by bacteria on the rocks/sand. To be very "safe", however, which depends a lot on the type of fish you are adding, limit it to one a week.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information