+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what else will algae absorb?

what else will algae absorb?

I just did some coral fragging and my system seemed to fair better than normal. In the past when I would frag corals the toxins/ooze that was released would cause all the corals to close up for the day,,now with the scrubber everything except what i fraged is still open! does the algae eat coral toxin as well?

Administrator

Re: what else will algae absorb?

Not really. Algae produces DOC (vitamins, proteins, amino acids, carbohydrates), which is similar to the slime coming off of your frags. One of three things might be happening:

1. Since your scrubber gives your tank more DOC, your tank also has more bacteria (which eats DOC). So when the extra slime goes into the water, the extra bacteria might be able to eat it more easily. Or...

2. Since your scrubbers give your tank more DOC, which is vitamins, proteins, amino acids, and carbohydrates that the corals need to eat, the corals might be more healthy and have more energy to be able to fight off any "toxins" from the slime. Or...

3. DOC binds with "toxins" (including metals) to "chelate" them into less-harmful chemicals. So the extra DOC in the water might be reacting with the "toxins", turning them into harmless substances.

I say it's number 2, since in non-scrubber tanks, the corals are starved.

Re: what else will algae absorb?

o well whatever it is ,,,I like it

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information