+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help!! 37g hex with bucket below

Help!! 37g hex with bucket below

So I am pretty knowledgeable on FW and now ready to go to a SW reef/fish setup. I bought a 37 gallon hex from a buddy of mine. It came with an underground filter and a bio wheel. I think I am going to scrap the U/G filter, but now I have many questions on filtration. I was going to get an Aquapure Nitrate filter, it seems very easy to use. Well now I go and do more research and stumble upon this site, damn now what? My wife still thinks I should get the nitrate filter. But I think I want to try an algae scrubber setup, maybe a 5 gallon bucket setup? Problem, this tank has no overflow in it? Can I drill a hole, is it a good idea, any other solutions? Do I use a bio wheel with this setup? Help!!!!

Jason

Administrator

Re: Help!!

No underground, no bio wheel, no aquaripure. Just rock, sand, and scrubber.

Your choice of scrubber/location is going to be based on your building skill. Best would be an enclosed vertical unit above the tank, but this is hardest to build. Look here for ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26

Ok so I have a pretty good idea how I am going to build this system. I am mechanically inclined and can handle just about any tasks, so that said we will see huh? First off I am limited on available space to do this so I thought that I would do a 1 container setup, 37 Hex. So I am going to drill a hole for an overflow, should I draw water from the bottom of the tank and return it on top? vice versa? does it matter? I know my overflow will be drilled at the top, now should I drill the return hole at the bottom? I have yet to find any info on that. Moving on, I measured the maxium width container I could fit under the stand and found a plastic tote on amazon.com. The volume of the container is about 9.3 gallons, so I thought that would be sufficient for a 37. Next, the size and style of the screen. I am not sure on what size I will make them, I was thinking of doing a 2 sided screen. Is it ever "too big?" My next question is, is it okay to put the pump at the bottom of this container? As far as plumbing it, I think I got a good handle on that, except where to drill return hole, or do I need one? But on the overflow side I will drill a hole in pipe to kill the siphon, in case of power loss. How about a check valve on the return side?

I have spent alot of time researching this weekend and I appreciate your help Santa Monica, any thoughts so far on my plans?

Administrator

For filtering, does not matter top or bottom. For safety, keep everything at the top. Do not need a return hole; just flow it into the top.

Yes a 2 sided screen. Size it for 1 watt per square inch.

Must put pump at bottom of tote container; this is now your sump.

Don't depend on check valves.

Post pics of how you intend to place things before you glue or cut anything.

Re: Help!! 37g hex with bucket below

I will definitely post pics and or drawings b4 I do anything. I literally just stumbled upon a problem, maybe, but is there any truth to the glass on a hexagon being tempered? If so, then that changes things. I am not real comfortable with a overflow slash siphon system, what if it loses the siphon? Any thoughts?

Re: Help!! 37g hex with bucket below

Well first thing, I have scrapped the hexagon idea and I am going to go with a 55-70 gallon tall. I am going to keep my eye on craigslist here in Chicago and try to find a used one. I could handle drilling the tank if need be, I also will have many more choices for lighting, the hex was only 18" and their aren't a whole lot of choices out there. Plus I will have much more room under the tank to concel all the scrubber equipment. I think I will go with a 10 or 20 gallon sump, 10x10 screen, 700 or more gph pump. I have not figured the lighting quite yet. Thanks, any sugestions appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information