+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: kcress's Turf Scrubber build.

Re: kcress's Turf Scrubber build.

UPDATE: Alrighty! Here's an update on the Turf Starter I picked up from AlgaeNator.

After a week or so, the Starter Sheet I mounted at the top of my horizontal screen has really started growing. While not as fast as some people's screens have lit off I have to say I am very pleased. Remember I have not had ANY hair algae ever show it's face on my screen In just about a year of trying. So now the small spots that were originally on the screen are now covering a large area and spreading onto the usual Ice Plant turf I've had going. It also shows lots of oxygen evolution bubbles when the water is flowing across it.

I'm very happy with the growth I'm seeing.

Next I have to clean it which is always a little scary when one's finally gotten something going after a long struggle.
    Thanks again AlgaeNator for sending me a test strip!

Though I don't expect any great change in my nitrate level yet I will test it in a few days and report.

glad to here your starting to see results !

Yeah thanks!

Me tooooooo.

When I took the picture I had to turn off my pump and water flow. Then I took the pictures and promptly got multiply interrupted and had to go to town. I came back three hours later and it dawned on me I'd left the water off and the lights on... :shock:

It all still looked wet. So I restarted the pump and today it seems the growth has even increased more. Go figger.

Funny now you mention it KC,

Actually That screen material was exposed to air like that on my system too when it was growing so I thnk you fine. So no worries, my V Scrump is powered by my overflows and return pump, but when I feed I turn OFF the pump, so the screen sits there exposed to air, at times I forget or dont turn on pump for a few hours.. I think as long as it doesnt DRY out completlely you are fine...

If you think about it, this type of Algae, in the wild, does the same thing during tidal changes, so I think this is VERY common and natural for it. This specie may actually PREFER O2 only during short periods of dampness. Maybe it helps it recover from flow exposure and oxgenate and respirate... who knows? All I know is once it starts growing it will really take off...

Glad to hear its taking hold, I knew it would, You will soon see some BRIGHT GREEN DAYGLO Algae coming in, along with other colors too.. That screen i sent you had reds, dark reds, dark greens, HA, Light Greens etc.. So I think there are about 3 diff species going on there.... Though the GHA seems to be the winner in the end.

Keep the pics coming, and in a few days maybe do a nitrate/phosphate test again... and post results if you can... Seems a bit early to test, but I think you should see some reductions at LEAST.

Looking good glad you happy!

I think my original theory is correct that is, that you just needed the GHA specie PRESENT to grow it, almost like Pink Corralline Algae... it can't grow it, if you dont have spores. So I think we can put the "dead" zone theories about nitrates to rest, or any other reason as well

Algaenator

Hmm. I think I will head off to the beach this weekend for some samples to jump start things.
    "Moss Beach" must have what I need. Although a marine preserve, so maybe not, even if just algae.

Moss Beach south of SF?

Quote Originally Posted by kcress
    Moss Beach south of SF?
    Yes. But since I live in Union City, I will most likely just take my bike out to the bay.

any updates KCress?

Just curious how you making out, take some pics.. testing etc..

Yes AlgaeNator. The GHA has gotten thicker and spread some more. Nitrates are still pegged over 100ppm.

prolly not enough yet to make a difference... well when you think its grown enough to show, post some pics? OK??

thanks

glad it seems to be taking hold, that is very good

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information