+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: kcress's Turf Scrubber build.

Re: kcress's Turf Scrubber build.

Wow, thats very nice. What are the dimensions and what size tank is it going on? What do you do by trade, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi diy;

This is for three 55gallon tanks that are 'jumped together' so it is 165g. They all have about 5" of crushed coral in them and that makes for bookoo nitrate production. My nitrates are over 1,000ppm. Presently I have only two large fish. A Yellow Tang and a large Angel of some sort(13years old). I also have a fist size cowry that is over 18 years old. Also 6trillion pods that generally keep my glass clean - better than any snail ever could.

I am half way thru building a new tank. I like c.coral and would like it in the new tank but it's a nitrate factory. If this TS can bring down the nitrate in my existing tank then I know I can use CC in my new set up.

This should be a good test as my present tanks are absolutely loaded with algae of every kind. It is rather like a giant fuge. The YT keeps his tank (the one he likes to hang in most) pretty picked clean but the other two are rampant jungles. The Angel is a major homebody and hasn't left the same tank for a decade,( likes his cinder block).

My biggest issue at the moment is how to actually utilize this TS as I have no sump whatsoever on this setup. I have a closed loop to keep the three tanks homogenized and to provide random waves. But the wave pump is far too large to run constantly ,(3/4hp). I have a Little Giant tapped off the same direct siphon that the waves are fed with (2") that draws from one end of the display 12ft long and returns to the far tank. I think I will be plumbing this to my TS and standing the TS up above this tank so it will be at eye level in my living room. LOL!

The TS is 15.5" tall, 11.75" wide, 6" thick.
    The screen is about 10" x 13" It will be single sided until I know the LEDs, as-is, work well enough for me to build another LED panel. Otherwise I will have to alter the LED mix/model for improvement if needed.

I'm an Electrical Engineer.
    FlaminSystems.com

Administrator

A response from a Mexican forum after seeing these LED pics: "its the first time that a company made an algae scrubber? or there are others before? if this has a good price, many people would prefers to purchase a new one. if not, people will try to do a copy of this."

Likes like fun SM. Got a link?

Administrator

any updates?

Hi diy, thanks for asking.

I'm gonna put up a picture when I get it going. It's having some teething issues.

1) My original weir gap estimate was off by 60% on both sides, so the water just rushed out the gaps with hardly any hitting the screen. DOH!

2) The water coming in was splashing just enough that I need a top. (maybe a drip every 30 seconds bouncing out) doh!

3) My pump was really loud. Sounding like it had a piece of something rattling around in the volute. It's a Little Giant 1100gph 3-MDGX-SC. Too loud for a living room so I opened up the pump head and pulled out the impeller and the ceramic shaft. The sides of the impeller are all scratched up and the impeller is VERY loose on the ceramic shaft (one which I can find no wear sign). So I am thinking the hole thru the impeller is worn out. I can find no spec on the amount of play. I need to call them I guess.

4) I have modified the weirs and they are ready to go. But now my pump isn't.. <sigh>

Sounds good, keep us updated. Is the little giant a little much for that size scrubber anyway.

The Little Giant wasn't a bit much, It was a lot much! I had it valved down to 40% since my head is only 20 inches.
    I checked prices on a new impeller, shaft and thrust washers for a "maybe it will be substantially more quiet", rebuild. The price was a disgusting 90+ dollars!!

So today I ordered a new Poseidon PS2 silent pump for only a bit more $$.
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumP ... eidon.html
    Everything else is ready to go. I hope it shows before Friday but I have my doubts.

Stay tuned.

Very good choice. Those pumps are sooo quiet!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information