+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Scrubber Pay-it-Forward thread

Lightbulb Official Scrubber Pay-it-Forward thread

Since we're going to try to start an outpouring of generosity towards our fellow reefers, this is the official Scrubber Pay-it-Forward thread:

Ground rules:
    1) If you participate in other sites like reefcentral and you see that someone else is struggling with one of the usual reef problems like very high nitrates, offer suggestions as to how you have resolved the same issues with a scrubber if you you have the experience of resolving that issue with a scrubber yourself. When in the context of helping a fellow reefer, the moderators at places like reefcentral are more forgiving about references to other sites if you stick to helping someone who was reaching out for help.

2) Never start your own thread or hijack another thread. There are plenty of people who are reaching out and asking for your help every day because they are loosing corals/fish due to high nitrates. Just pay it forward and help them more if they ask for help. Usually they will be very pleased that you are offering them information about something you know from experience absolutely works.

3) It's best to avoid the skimmer vs. scrubber debate with someone unfamiliar with scrubber technology. It takes alot of reading and some actual experience before most folks start to understand the issues. Just help them with their immediate nitrate issue, their hair algae in the display tank issue, or whatever it is that is their issue.

4) Whenever you pay-it-forward and help someone, post a link to that thread back here so that we can see how you helped the person enjoy reefing that much more. Helping just one reefer can inturn help hundreds of others and paying it forward is what it's all about.

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: Official Scrubber Pay-it-Forward thread

This person was really struggling with dieing corals and nitrates at 50ppm. He posted a picture of his dieing corals up on reefcentral and was asking for help.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...9#post18247929

Good idea. I have been doing the same over at my site. A few people are a bit skeptical, and are waiting on my results lol. Once they see my scrubbed system they will want to try it. It is interesting that such a low budget set up can be made to have great results Also with the low investment people are usually up to try it.

Btw, I hope it's ok to have the banner of my site on my sig lol. If it is a prob let me know any one and I will take it off.

I have been chatting on RC about ATS here

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1963130

Quote Originally Posted by srusso
    I have been chatting on RC about ATS here

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1963130
    Srusso, great job of helping others. Nice work!

srusso,,Think I was helping you on RC lol

I did not intentionally participate but on azoox.org TOTM thread I mentioned that tank with high nitrates >25 ppm may consider this approach as part of solution and here is response I got.

I was linked here by RB yesterday.

It is a wonderful system, but I also wanted to share some information with you that might not sink in right away. With a bacteria driven system you are attempting to replace the work of algae/bacteria in natural environment with bacteria alone. Here is a technique to consider as well that is very effective and quick at reducing nutrient levels and does not require additives or much equipment, that only requires weekly cleaning and has the potential to add food back to system in form of DOC and copepods. Even if you choose this is not for you it certainly should be considered for these types of tanks. The ATS will remove ammonia nitrites and nitrates while sustaining copepods. It also supplies sugars from leaked DOC that will promote bacteria. It is slightly controversial in that if improperly maintained with weekly cleaning it will not be effective.
    and one of responses

^ IMO an ATS scrubber big enough for an azoox system the size of Mike's system will just be an extreme waste of space time and money with little to no benefits.
    I'd hate to see this thread become an ATS scrubber vs. other methods thread. Maybe you could start a separate thread in the filtration forum and we could discuss it there?

Quote Originally Posted by iggy
    I did not intentionally participate but on azoox.org TOTM thread I mentioned that tank with high nitrates >25 ppm may consider this approach as part of solution and here is response I got.

I was linked here by RB yesterday.

It is a wonderful system, but I also wanted to share some information with you that might not sink in right away. With a bacteria driven system you are attempting to replace the work of algae/bacteria in natural environment with bacteria alone. Here is a technique to consider as well that is very effective and quick at reducing nutrient levels and does not require additives or much equipment, that only requires weekly cleaning and has the potential to add food back to system in form of DOC and copepods. Even if you choose this is not for you it certainly should be considered for these types of tanks. The ATS will remove ammonia nitrites and nitrates while sustaining copepods. It also supplies sugars from leaked DOC that will promote bacteria. It is slightly controversial in that if improperly maintained with weekly cleaning it will not be effective.
    and one of responses

[quote:sm0xz82e]^ IMO an ATS scrubber big enough for an azoox system the size of Mike's system will just be an extreme waste of space time and money with little to no benefits.
    I'd hate to see this thread become an ATS scrubber vs. other methods thread. Maybe you could start a separate thread in the filtration forum and we could discuss it there?
    [/quote:sm0xz82e]

Iggy, It's all good. You reached out to pay it forward and that is all you can do. Remember to share your links even if the effort doesn't go as far as you had hoped. We want to see this thread end up with hundreds of pay it forward links!

Another inspired Reefer!

This thread is located at:
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...8&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    You know what? I almost did this a couple years ago, and now, I'm definitely going to do it. It is very simple and it works! I don't have room for a refugium, but I can totally do this!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information