+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does it need to breathe

Does it need to breathe

Does the algae need space to breathe? I am working on a very thin scrubber and the screen will only have a half inch wall to wall of air space.

Administrator

Re: Does it need to breathe

No, it does not use air to grow. The C02 come out of the water.

I am new to the hobby, and have seen MANY people talking about crash, what is it? I have read much, just can't seem to get the concept of systems crashing? I mean, if you got a balance system, and keep it balanced, how the heck does a crash occur? I have much more time spend in freshwater environment, and have not seen any of the so called crashes. I know there is a bit more to saltwater than it's counter part, but come on, we are only trying to create a smaller eco system, it's hard but not impossible. Set everything to balance, and keep it at a balance, that should be enough keep it running forever, till you give up that is.

A crash only occurs where there is an imbalance in the system or serious disease (which tends to be caused by an imbalance!), and tends to have a knock on effect, e.g. ammonia in the water kills of sensitive coral, sensitive coral dies, gives off more ammonia, which in turn kills of more, which kills of fish etc.

Quote Originally Posted by diy
    Does the algae need space to breathe? I am working on a very thin scrubber and the screen will only have a half inch wall to wall of air space.
    The algae does not "need" to breathe but it will grow better if you give it some air... While it can absorb what it needs from the water, it absorbs more efficiently in the air.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information