+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New tank time

New tank time

I am new to the ATS subject but am intrigued. I currently have a 35 gal saltwater reef tank,with lots of nuisance algae in it.
    I want to move up to a 125 gallon with a 30 gal sump, but am unsure how to start up the tank using an ATS in the sump.
    Is there a design for a sump incorporating an ATS . What size return pump would be needed. Can you start up a tank like this or do you have to get the tank established,cycled first and then change to ATS. Thanks for your replies Kitch40http://www.algaescrubber.net/for ... 705022e88#

Banned

Re: New tank time

I started mine from scratch (using mature live rock and a scrubber) and had no problems.

I'm also considering upgrading to a bigger tank, and if and when I do, I'll probably not bother with a sump and just have a scrubber installed above the tank, discharging directly into it.

I think I would always run a sunp even with a scrubber, simply due to a place for my, auto top off, heater, keeping light on the water, safe place for my pods to keep spawning, and to do a small water change now and them just to keep my calcium and other levels where they need to be, and In the main Tank I also have coral near the surface.

I built my sump "glass" screen lays on a slop, and 1" pvc over flow.

my main tank is a 40g and sump is a 29g.

My rock was full of green hair out of my 55g, but in this new build I used the same live rock, within around a month the green hair was gone.
    my hippo tang helped , but this tank, sump with scrubber and screen was all new, I just let it cycle a month before I ever put anything in.

Is your ats under your tank with your sump?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information