+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HAIR ALGAE

HAIR ALGAE

I have noticed that hair algae is coming on strong since I started my scrubber. I have cleaned it a couple times in the past month, and got a decnt amount off of the screen. It started out as a few dime sized patches on my lr and spread down to my base rock. I started the scubber about a month after setting up the tank and it took about 2 weeks to see any growth on it. Now it grows in decently, but not as much as the pics I have seen from day to day logs. Is my scrubber not strong enough? Or is this the trapped phos in the rocks coming out? I will get some pics up to show after the lights are on fora few hours to show.

Specs for the system are 125g tank, 185lbs lr, 30g sump 10x13 screen with 1000gph pump, 4 23w cfl fllod bulbs(4'' away from screen)(18hr on, 6 hr off), 30g sump with a 600gph overflow and mag 7 return pump. Nova extreme t5ho 12 lamp fixture on 8 hrs a day. Feeding is every other day with a pinch of flake, 1 cube of thawed and drained mysis, and 3 pellets. Fish are 1 brown tang, 2 clowns, 1 mandarin, 1 mccosker's wrasse, and soon to be 4 anthias(after time in qt.)

Could I cut the lights to 6 hrs a day(dt lights) and not harm the corals(zoas, mush, candy cane, torch, gonipora, and 2 maxima clams?) Would that do any good?

Administrator

Re: HAIR ALGAE

Does sound like phosphate coming out of rocks. If you had high phosphate in the past, that's probably it. The way you can tell is if nuisance algae is also growing on plastic or not.

No need to mess with dispay lights.

Re: HAIR ALGAE

Ok cool, here is the worst rock, there is some cyano throughout the tank, but not at epidemic proportions yet. Also, I never got the black oily algae, I got the brown, some red, and darker green hair right from the getgo. So I'm hoping this was a sign that the N and P were not too awful bad
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information