+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new sm scrubbers scrubbers

new sm scrubbers scrubbers

Just finished moving my 200 reef and set up two SM 100's. No coral of fish loss at all, and the tank was sitting with no flow for at least 18hrs. My question is cleaning the bottom of the filter. Are you suppose to clean all the algae off the bottom, and how are most people going about this? Wet vac? Rags?

Second question...how successful really is running these scrubbers usiing the overflow as the feed source? Is it more successful to use pumps? It seems as though there are a few dry areas, and some areas that the water is flowing too much?

Lastly, the local aquarium shop where I am purchasing the new 400gal aquarium stopped by to see the scope of work. The guy took a look at my tank and asked what filter system I was using, as there is zero algae in the tank. I showed him the scrubbers and he stated that I was crazy to set these things up on the new tank. He made his best sales pitch, and stated that they will probably work for a short period of time, then as the tank progressed, it will turn into a hot mess after time. I must say, he had me scratching my head as to what filtration setup I should install on the new tank. If anyone would care to make me feel better about installing 3 sm100's on my $20k new tank setup I would appreciate it. Thanks for any and all input.

A big thanks to SM for coming through ahead of time on the scrubbers and having them ready when I moved the old tank.

Re: new sm scrubbers scrubbers

I'm sure he has a lot of filtration equipment he would like to sell you.

If it works for your current setup, that means the biology and chemistry behind the logic is correct. Why would it stop working? If you don't feed enought, you get less algae growth on the screen, the water will still be clean. If you feed more, there will be more algae on the screen and the water will be clean. It's not like algae will "stop eating" all of a sudden. I'd recomend doing small monthly waterchanges, 5-10% to supplement whatever your not adding with chemicals and balancing out calcium ions if you use balling or two part dosing. GaC is also nice from time to time if you want to polish your water, but will remove some of the good stuff your scrubber adds.

yea,he just wants to sell you a skimmer

Your prior experience and his local restaurant set ups would be a better guide than anyone here.

You would not set up a public aquarium like you would a grow out tank. Most successful tanks will be hybrid of systems that you develop on your own. Local guy here has a 320 with small skimmer and pours in phytoplankton and it works great.

However change does not come easy to some so let it go if your confident in your ability.

Administrator

For maxiumum filtering, yes you would clean the bottom of the scrubber box (in addition to removing the screen from the pipe and cleaning the pipe slot). After months when coralline builds up, you can use the blue plug to stop it up, and put some vinegar in and let it sit to dissolve. If you are in a rush, you can leave the bottom un-cleaned. Use the turkey baster to keep the windows clean if needed; don't rub them or they will scratch.

Overflows-vs-pumps don't matter; is all the same. As the screen grows in, the flow will even out. You should have about an inch of water build-up on the bottom.

As for 400 gal vs. two scrubbers, once they are growing you should be able to feed about 20 cubes a day.

thanks everyone!

woke up this morning to a lot of red algae in the tank...mostly on the rocks, and on the sand floor. I am going to increade water flow my installing one MP40 for now, and another later. Slowly starting to get the equipment together for the new tank.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information