+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS)

Hybrid View

The purpose of the airstone is to move water (nutrients) and air (CO2) accross the scrubber screen right? Chances are there is some gradient between how useful it is to use air vs a powerhead and aeration/CO2 saturation in the water.

I would imagine in a highly circulated reef tank a powerhead moving water upwards across the screen could probably provide a similar amount of CO2 as a bubbler,or at least sufficient for good growth. You may have to increase the flow of water but it seems reasonable. Where as in a mostly stagnant freshwater application a bubbler could be a far better choice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joelespinoza View Post
    The purpose of the airstone is to move water (nutrients) and air (CO2) accross the scrubber screen right? Chances are there is some gradient between how useful it is to use air vs a powerhead and aeration/CO2 saturation in the water.

I would imagine in a highly circulated reef tank a powerhead moving water upwards across the screen could probably provide a similar amount of CO2 as a bubbler,or at least sufficient for good growth. You may have to increase the flow of water but it seems reasonable. Where as in a mostly stagnant freshwater application a bubbler could be a far better choice.
    As Santa Monica once said to me, in his entire quote "Google algae Boundary Layer". Man of few words.
    http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.230...47698944050937
    http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.230...47698944050937

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information