+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scrub with cheato?

Scrub with cheato?

I'm wondering how much cheato I would have to harvest to account for a cube of food input, and how much space I would need to grow and harvest that much.

The reason is that I'm thinking of setting up another tank, a 25 gallon cube, but I'll have the space in the cabinet for a 20 long sump, or maybe even a 30 breeder. Given that much space for a "fuge", I'm wondering if I could grow enough cheato to "scrub" the system clean of N and P. I've got plenty of LEDs and heatsinks for 100+ watts of grow light I could put on it. Any thoughts? One cube a day of scrubbing power should be plenty for what I plan to have in the display tank.

Banned
    From personal experience - I used to grow cheato in my sump, both in an immature system and in a mature set-up. I fear that the illusion of cheato reducing N + P is widespread, especially in newish set ups. It is widely accepted that cheato will reduce nutrients but I think the effect is minimal, compared to a waterfall scrubber at least. It is understandable that this illusion is so widespread because new set ups often have undetectable nutrients for a while ( contributed to cheato ), but it is actually just a very low waste organics load. When a system such as mine is fully mature it is quite evident that cheato cannot keep up. This is witnessed by oxygen production through photosynthesis. In a cheato ball, very little oxygen is developed, whereas a fully operation waterfall evolves oxygen at very noticeable rates. I would estimate that ( in my system at least ), photosynthetic growth from cheato was in the region of 5% of that I get from my waterfall.

5% might be okay, since I'm only looking for a one-cube-per-day scrubber. I could probably dedicate a 12"x18" area to it (maybe more) with 100W+ of LED light.

Do you think adding a powerhead with a venturi to provide strong flow and oxygen could improve the growth rate? Kind of a UAS, but with cheato and no screen.

Banned
    You'll need good flow to keep it tumbling to expose as much of the cheato to light as possible anyway. Not sure about using a mass of bubbles personally because a hell of a lot of light gets diffracted away from the target. Just a question because I feel nosey, why aren't you building a waterfall ?

1. Just thought I'd try something different
    2. I'd like a source of full grown pods
    3. If it worked, it would be simpler than a waterfall, super easy to maintain (just trim, no removing a screen and scraping), absolutely quiet (no extra drains).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganAtlanta View Post
    1. Just thought I'd try something different
    2. I'd like a source of full grown pods
    3. If it worked, it would be simpler than a waterfall, super easy to maintain (just trim, no removing a screen and scraping), absolutely quiet (no extra drains).
    1). Excellent. Doing something different often yields unforeseen benefits.
    2). I have loads of copepods in my sump, and mysids and bristle worms and amphipods and Asterina. They all seem to "hang out" on an almost unlit screen that I have in my sump from a previous pod growing experiment.
    3). I find maintenance of the screen very quick. Suppose it's just how you build it. My waterfall is in my sump and is silent.

Banned
    I know that Chrissu modded his SM100 before he got out of the hobby and turned it into a chaeto scrubber and it grew like mad. Not sure how well it filtered, but it's definitely possible with a closed-box scrubber.

I really don't have very many pods in my current system. Not sure why. The only filtration I have is the scrubber, and I've got a sump full of rock rubble for things to grow in.

Banned
    In order too see an impact i ran a 30g tank full of cheato to the top.. i had to run powerheads to keep it tumbling andit was a pain to remove and trim.
    Cheato, IMO is useless. Tried culerpa and grape algae too, as well as mangroves, the water fall is a completely diferent ball.game. dont waste your time... Scrubber takes a whole 5mins to clean dude.

Excellent. That's the feedback I was looking for. Since you've already tried it, I don't have to. I'm thinking a super simple one sided waterfall instead.

Quote Originally Posted by RkyRickstr View Post
    In order too see an impact i ran a 30g tank full of cheato to the top.. i had to run powerheads to keep it tumbling andit was a pain to remove and trim.
    Cheato, IMO is useless. Tried culerpa and grape algae too, as well as mangroves, the water fall is a completely diferent ball.game. dont waste your time... Scrubber takes a whole 5mins to clean dude.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information